Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Normal-Every-Day, But Different

There isn't prep work to do all the time, there's mostly just normal life before my husband leaves. Life keeps happening despite what's looming in the future. Of course, deployment is always in the back of my mind. I am actually getting sick of the word "deployment." I've been saying it for months now. It's the thing that is always there in the future, that everyone asks about and wants details about, that I'm thinking about more frequently throughout the day, that I always feel like I'm not doing enough to get ready for. It's normal at this point to begin to just want deployment to happen, to get on with it so you can move forward, instead of thinking about it happening.

My husband is leaving this week for 4 days to go to the nearest base to take care of Navy business. While I hate he's leaving, I'm looking forward to the time alone. It's almost like it's only little prep time. I planned meals for just myself, thought about how I'm going to spend the time by myself: working out, walking the dogs, catching up on the laundry, reading. He's a big meat eater, and I'm a former vegetarian. While he's gone I'll be eating chickpea salads, stir-fry with quinoa, and making my first "veggie loaf."

But for today, it's normal life. We are both in sweats catching up on DVR. He is sick, I have mountains of laundry, and we are both tired from being out with our off-roading Jeep club last night. The dogs are going between barking at passing cars and napping in front of the space heater. It's just normal-every-day-life. We just happen to be a military family so things are just different now, even in the daily routines. The normal feels a little bit different.


No comments:

Post a Comment