Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Crunch Time!

Deployment is getting closer and things are starting to get busy! As much as I've done, I still feel like I have a million things to do! I'm realizing some things may not get done before my husband leaves, like the budget, since it's what I'm putting off.

This week is very busy. Tomorrow we have a photo shoot with my friend's wedding photographer! My best friend and her fiance gifted us a photo session because I had wanted to get pictures taken of James and I, with him in his Navy dress uniforms and me all dressed up. I've been using sunless tanner, whitening my teeth, and shopping for new outfits (etc.) for the photos. I'm really excited. The only pictures we have of my husband in his uniforms are from boot camp!

This weekend I'll be shopping for decorations and finishing up things for James' going away party next week. I've rented space at the American Legion and family and friends are helping with the cake and the DJ. It's being catered by the Legion and they will have bar tenders and a full bar for us. I'm so excited about it and I've put a lot of work into it. I was too much of a mess to throw a party last time, and fortunately my MIL thought to plan a great party for him!

Next weekend we have family and friends coming in from out of town to see James and attend the going away party. Some of them will be staying with us, which I love. Family and friends are also starting to call and make plans with us if they can't make it to the party. I'm thrilled with the turn out so far. And then there's the party!!

Fortunately, I didn't plan the party for right before he leaves so our last little bit of time together we can just relax with each other and our loved ones. The party and photo shoot will be over and my goal is to have all my other planning and our last little errands done. We still need to get the dogs to the vet, do our taxes, and get rid of the broken down car in the driveway. And, I'm sure there's still more...

How am I coping with all this? Sometimes I'm keeping busy, and sometimes I'm just too tired to think about it all. I haven't been sleeping well but I'm working with my counselor and Dr. on that. Insomnia always comes right along with stress and anxiety for me. To keep from being bummed about deployment, I'm trying to focus on having fun at our photo shoot and making my husband's going away party wonderful for him. I'll have time to be bummed out after that, and I'm sure that I will be. Don't get me wrong, I'm still feeling sad about it, I'm just trying to not get stuck there.  For now, I need to focus on tasks, taking my time to feel and grieve things when I need to, and trying to remember to do my relaxation exercises, which I'm not remembering often. It's funny how hard it is to remember to relax and breathe when we need to do it most!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Meghan,
    I came across your blog via Pinterest. My husband is also in the Navy Reserves and we are preparing for his quickly approaching deployment as well. This is his second deployment, but my first. Thank you for creating this blog.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lori!
      Thank you so much for your comment and for reading! I'm sorry to hear that your husband is deploying. First deployments are rough. My husband was Active Duty before we met, so my first deployment wasn't his first either. It helped because he was informed and knew what to expect. I hope that you have a lot of positive experiences from this deployment, I know it's difficult (well, it can flat out suck!). But I hope for the best for both of you, and for a safe return!

      Meghan

      Delete
  2. Thank you! And prayers for a safe return for your husband as well. Deployment does suck ;) But hopefully the next year will fly by for us all.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete