Saturday, January 5, 2013

What "Deployment Prep" Means (part 1)

Many military families are often talking about "deployment prep," and it's difficult to know what that actually means. I didn't have to learn what it meant until our first deployment, and I was so stressed that I didn't do it very well. I'm not as good at deployment prep as more seasoned military wives, but I'm doing a lot of research and getting the hang of it.

Deployment prep is also a bit different for Reservist's families since how often we deal with deployment can vary. For us, in the Navy Reserves, James is only eligible to deploy every 4 years (ish) and if he deploys more often or sooner than that, it's volunteer, special circumstances, or national emergency (this can vary between branches of the Reserves). So, we can deal with deployment often or hardly ever, or our "regularly scheduled" every four years! Awesome, right?

First, there's what I call "the business side" of deployment prep (also called Logistical Preparations). It basically means doing everything that you need two people for, getting projects done before he leaves, getting paper work in order, making plans for the care of your family, deciding where you are going to live, and preparing for any possible disaster. It's pretty much a never-ending list that you never feel like you can get done, and after he leaves, wishing you had done even more prep.

The list can include the following: (This is my current list I'm working on/things I've done)

  • Make a Will (the deploying spouse will do this through the military), a living will, and a letter of instruction. This is important for the deploying person to do, and for me. If something happens to me and he can't get home or it takes a while, it's important for everything to be taken care of. 
  •  Make an "emergency phone list" including all family members to be contacted, police and fire departments, doctors and hospital phone numbers, Red Cross, etc. 
  • Make sure the car is in working order, has had an oil change and tune-up
  • Go to Family Days and get a bunch of information about deployment, resources, and meet others in the Unit (this is a VERY important step) 
  • Read books on budgeting during deployment and create a new budget. Our income and finances will change while James is deployed, and it's a good opportunity to pay off debts.
  • Copy important house-hold paper work (mortgage paper work, car titles, insurance information, marriage license, etc.) and put in a fire-safe .
  • Replace/clean furnace filters
  • Get the dogs vaccinated/groomed
  • Make a list of items to stock-up on that James will need while deployed (deodorant, shampoo, etc.) and make sure to buy them
  • Plan going-away party
  • Get military ID renewed
  • Switch from Reserve to Active Duty insurance with TriCare (military insurance)
  • Get Power of Attorny
  • Plan going-away party
That is just part of one of my lists! I'm creating a "deployment binder" with all my deployment information, lists, brochures and literature, resource, phone numbers, and anything else I can think of. A lot of my planning lists came from Surviving Deployment: A Guide for Military Families by Karen M. Pavlicin. I also have my "panic lists," the things I think of at 2am that need done. Those lists usually include the small stuff, like "I need to make sure I know where the plunger is" and "I need to get on Pinterest and find meals for one person" and "I need to remember not to let the dogs sleep with me every night." There seems like there's a million things to do, and I know I won't get it all done. But, having as much as possible done helps alleviate the stress of deployment. I can sleep better in the long wrong knowing that there is at least a plan.


Resources: 
  • militaryonesource.com
  • Military Spouse magazine
  • NFAAS (provides disaster assistance) navyfamily.navy.mil
  • American Red Cross 1-877-272-7337
  • Fleet and Family Support Center1-888-231-0714
  • Service Members Civil Relief Act (847) 688-4753
  • americasupportsyou.mil
  • lifelines.navy.mil

 **Please comment with any other preparation tips or resources!

No comments:

Post a Comment