Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Resolution: Survive Deployment

How did I spend New Years Eve? By forgetting it was New Years Eve because we have so much going on in our lives. James and I sat together in front of the TV and watched Leverage. When he started watching Ax Men, which doesn't really interest me, I decided to read. I realized it was time to break out Surviving Deployment and start dealing with it. 

The holidays were a wonderful time of blissful denial and projects. Now that they are over, I have to face the facts: I don't have much time until James deploys and I need to prepare. 

As everyone is posting about celebrating the new year, along with their goals, hopes and dreams, I can't help feeling sad. My friends are saying that 2013 is going to be a great year and they are excited about what is in store. For me it's a bit different. I know that 2013 will be one of the hardest years of my life, since our last deployment in 2008 was one of the hardest years of my life. Our year starts with deployment preparations, from lists to the cycle of emotions, and then will move on to deployment, and most of my 2013 will be spent alone in my house with my 2 dogs and my husband far, far away. Our year may or may not end with a homecoming, we don't know yet.

So, I have one New Years Resolution: To grow through this deployment and come out on the other side a better, stronger person and have a stronger marriage.

Of course, doing that involves MULTIPLE sets of lists and goals, lots of prep, amazing friends and family, planning with my husband...and some wine, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment