Monday, February 4, 2013

It's time to Re-Visit "Positive Sloth"

I have been a little bummed/stressed/anxious/basket-casey lately. Reading over my last few blog posts about counseling and sleeplessness, I realized I need to revisit my "Positive Sloth" post mentality and think about some things that I have to look forward to in this coming year, as well as good things about deployment. Not only for myself, but so I don't seriously bum out anyone reading. So, deep breaths and happy thoughts...
  • When my husband is gone, I will get to focus on myself. Counseling will help me discover things about myself. I will get the chance to spend some alone time writing, journaling, being quiet, reading, and learning to be with myself again. 
  • My best friend is getting married, and I get to be a bridesmaid. I love her and I'm so happy for her. I'm really looking forward to that in the future
  • I will get lots of time with my friends and get to build stronger relationships with them. I love my girls, and I'm looking forward to girls' nights, long lunches, getting coffee, shopping, and sleepovers. 
  • I will get to grow artistically. I will have time to write more, craft, learn new skills, act again, and maybe even start painting again
  • The grocery will be fun; I will only buy the foods I want to eat - and I love food. I will get to try new things my husband hates. 
  • Spring and Summer. For me, this means skirts and dresses, long walks in the park with my friends, evening runs with my dogs, and laying by the pool. I will have less responsibility so more time to relax and be outside.
  • Complete control of the remote (all the Golden Girls, Friends, Big Bang Theory and Fraiser I can possibly handle)
These may sound like simple things, but  it's important to remember the good things that can happen during deployment. Deployment is what you make of it. I can't control a single thing about it, but I can control my perspective. Thinking about the things I'm looking forward to and my opportunities for growth helps make the bad things seem a bit smaller. Focusing on the benefits of being alone can make me feel a teensy bit less lonely. Yep, this sucks. But I'm also a strong person. I can put on my big girl panties and a smile and make the best of the sucky times.

And, once again, because sloths make me smile....a baby sloth hugging a stuffed giraffe. You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment